Monday, August 6, 2012

Traveling Mercies

I made it! I have traveled half way across the world to the Wakiso district of Uganda in Africa. Wow! I can still hardly believe that I'm here! It took 2 days of traveling to get here. One 3 hour flight, one 6 1/2 hour flight and one 10 hour flight. Let me tell you, that is a lot of time to spend on a plane. The time changes wreak havoc on your brain's internal clock. When I arrived in Amsterdam I met up with a missions team and we went to have breakfast in the airport and I was ready for dinner! Finally, we boarded the plane from Amsterdam to Entebbe, Uganda only before we took off an announcement was made (in both Dutch and English) that there had been a problem in the security process and that they needed to empty the plane completely and then board again. Ayayaya! It was my first delay the whole trip so I suppose I cannot complain too much. Finally, we arrived in Entebbe where before landing I experienced my first aborted landing attempt. The plane had been descending getting ready to land when the attempt had to be abandoned and we started going up again! Eventually we were able to land and we had finally arrived in Uganda.

It took very little time to collect our baggage and after we made our way to the parking lot where the team I was with had two people waiting for our arrival. They loaded up all of luggage (and together it was quite a lot!) on top of a van and we all scrunched together to fit 12 people in an 8 person vehicle. Ha! Our hosts drove us to a facility somewhere between Entebbe and the country's capital, Kampala. It was very late when we arrived probably sometime after midnight. The kind people at the facility had dinner ready for us and so once we settled in we ate dinner at about 1:00 in the morning.

The next day, a wonderful lady from the Rafiki Village in Uganda, picked me up from the facility that I had stayed the night at. From there we went to the supermarket, exchanged my U.S. dollars for Ugandan shillings, bought groceries and had lunch at a restaurant called Good African Coffee. The food was delicious! We drove around the campus of African Bible College and then headed back to the village.

The Lord has surely showered his mercies over me in allowing me to arrive safely and without much delay to this new place. I am very grateful for His hand of provision that has allowed me to go on this trip of a lifetime. The God I serve is a mighty God! May He receive all the glory!

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness! 
Lamentations 3:22-23

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it there safely. I wonder just how good the Good African Coffee tasted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I actually didn't drink the coffee there. I had some sort of fruit juice. It was deeelicious!

      Delete
  2. Good to hear about your journey! We praise God for your traveling mercies and will continue to pray for you. Our family was supposed to go to Uganda a few years ago but the trip never came to fruition. Please continue to post about your adventures, so we can vicariously experience it through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear about you arriving safely! Hope you have an amazing/eye opening/safe time!! Can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete